Curcumin for Cats

Today I have been again immersed in the CD-40 natural antagonist literature, but the post is still not ready. So, in the meantime, I have decided to post a couple of items on another topic that I am very interested in (for two obvious reasons!): cats and curcumin.

A blog reader who unfortunately has an ailing cat sent me a private message earlier today asking if I had ever heard of curcumin being given to animals. Well, it just so happens that I have. Another blog reader, Vince, treated his cat, diagnosed with myelofibrosis, a blood disorder, with curcumin. She is alive and well today. You can read Bella’s amazing story here: http://www.mo-driver.com/bella.htm

I would have no hesitation in giving curcumin to one of my cats in case of need. But how much curcumin? Well, my blog reader sent me a file about a kitty called Bud who was given curcumin to treat FIV (feline AIDS). The website is: http://goo.gl/KV4jg (updated in Jan 2012). The information on curcumin dosage is as follows:

“Because it stimulates bile flow, contraindicated if there is bile duct blockage or gall stones. Should be taken with food. to minimize irritation. One source places a therapeutic feline dose of curcumin at 50-100mg daily and cites 100mg/kg as a benchmark ulcerogenic dose in ‘animals.’ (Human dosage: 2000mg curcumin, 20mg piperine, divided three times daily; Bud’s Dosage: 225mg curcumin, 6mg piperine, divided three times daily between meals; second round, 200mg with piperine and 50 GDU bromelain, divided twice daily with meals.).”

My concern: six mg of piperine sounds like a lot for such a small dosage of curcumin. I wouldn’t give my cat that much. Indeed, I might even skip the piperine and try something else (some sort of fat that my kitty would find palatable).

I also found the following, which confirms the 50-100 mg/kg dosage: “At very high doses (100 mg/kg body weight), curcumin may be ulcerogenic in animals, as evidenced by one rat study. [...] Feline dosages are in the range of 50-100 mg daily of curcumin and approximately one-quarter teaspoon daily if using whole turmeric.” (see: http://goo.gl/xQaxl)

I will look into this matter more closely once I emerge from the world of molecular science.

20 thoughts on “Curcumin for Cats

1. amanda

I too will try turmeric for my cat’ Tora’ who has FeLV and the beginnings of lymphoma, he is currently on a mushroom blend that seems to be helping too, he has stomatitis too, so will only give 1/4 teaspoon a day and half of that at first, will let you know if it helps him :) Thanks for the dosage information. I also take turmeric daily and feel better for it :)

2. Teresa

Our cat Miles (Chronic Pancreatitis w/secondary Diabetes) take’s 1/4 the human dosage (according to a vet site) because Cats metabolize faster than humans.
    We both just started and I have to give him his orally, mixed with water and syringed into his mouth as he hates it in his food. We are both on week 2, and his blood sugar levels were over 600 and are now bouncing between 400 to 600. He’s our Vets first patient on Tumeric w/curcumin, so he’s very interested in how it works. So far, he’s become more active and for the first time in 3 months, can go outside without fear of him collapsing. Will keep you posted on and side effects (none so far) and benefits.
    Thank you once again Margaret for the link here!

3. Peter

Hello
    We have a cat that we need to get some Turmeric into, we have tried it in some food he normally has from a foil pouch but he is SMART !!! arnt they all!
    He knew there was something in the food only a very small amount but would not touch it.
    Tried it with a small ball of chese surrounding the Turmeric same result.
    Has anyone got a way of getting this Turmeric into there belovid cats???
    We are strugling to find any way to do this …..
    Please has anyone had any luck in getting there cats to take the Turmeric, PLEASE let us know how you did it.

THANKS, Peter, Lincolnshire, England.

1. Jacques

I give my cats daily turmeric by syringe into the mouth. I take wet food and a 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric,and dandelion, probiotics and blend it with a blender adding some water to make it smooth like icing to be taken up by a syringe. I do this daily to all my cats works great and keeps them healthy in their old age .
      hope this helps

4. Margaret Post author

Hi Peter, have you tried curcumin instead of turmeric? Curcumin, the active ingredient, doesn’t seem to have the strong smell that the spice turmeric has. But of course I am not a cat. ;-) Another point: curcumin is also more powerful than turmeric, so you could use less of it.

I sometimes mix curcumin powder with my cats’ wet food. So far so good. They have never refused to eat, and believe me, my eldest cat is a tough cookie. She can detect anything…just like your cat.

Hope this helps…

5. Peter

HI Margaret
    Thanks for the the info on Curcumin, we will order some soon and give it a try on Ginger.
    Hopefully it will be easier as it has no oder and not have the same strong smell as Turmeric, that will make it easier to get Ginget to take it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards, Peter.

6. Jeanine

Hi Margaret!

I bought 95% Curcumin extract in capsule form for my cat. Each capsule is 665 mg and I’m at a loss as to how to measure that down to 50 mg because the capsules aren’t all that large to begin with!

Is there some brand or different form than pill I should be using for easy measuring? I looked up liquid extracts but they contained alcohol.

Thanks for your post on this!

7. Kay

I’m glad I came across this article. My cat had a large tumor removed last year, but it just came back. The vet of course had only extremely expensive treatment that I could not afford. I give my cat essaic tea twice a day with one dose of turmeric milk. I mix 1/4 tablespoon of turmeric in whole milk. Turmeric is fat soluble. It also does not absorb well without peppercorn (black pepper). I got one of those plastic ketchup bottles and put the mixture in there and give it to my cat like she’s a baby on a bottle. She hates it, and I make sure to give her a bit of food afterward. The cancer is in a state of collapse right now, draining and falling apart.

8. Jennifer Pulling

I am very intereted in giving curcumin to cats. I am trying to treat a tumour. Still unsure as to the correct dose? The brand I have states the human dose should be three capsuls daily. My tip for giving cats supplements…mix the powder from capsule with a little butter or margarine and smear on paw. Cat will lick it off!

9. Edna

I have my 18 1/2 year old Inky on Tumeric. He has an unidentifiable tumour on his neck.( yes of coarse he went to the vet) Seems to be helping. I give it to him by mixing it with hair ball remedy. I take my own Tumeric pills and break them open and mix 1/4 of it with an inch of Hairball remedy. I know that some think that the Hairbsll stuff is bad but I weigh the fact that he licks up the Tumeric which he needs. I break up the days by skipping a day or two in between without. I am a dentist and have used a lot of alternative treatments on my cats. I have had three cats and one lived to 21, one to 18 and my dear Inky. Msdds1@ gmail.com
    Meow

10. rdub

Dosage: Dogs take 4x benedryl, 4x Xanax; I have gone with 4K cur cumin for our kids. Vet wary, but understands I write software, ask a lot of questions, pubmed is my friend (I showed an Oncologist a certain article on iPhone, wasn’t hers) and follow the advise that works. (See my RA at last)
    ——
    Delivery: My Aussie had her tail run over (very close call) and vet recommended Pumpkin to ease her digestion in traumatized intestines. I bury the 2k curcumin/meal with pumpkin, then top with sardines, otherwise they find the Doctor’s Best, lick it clean and leave it behind.
    ——
    Cat folks: I was told pumpkin works for hair balls (plain pumpkin)
    ——
    Controversy warning: Elsewhere on this site, Margaret explains MM patients avoid Glucosamine. Well, that’s my response below hers. Curcumin works for the whole family, after we stopped Glucosamine, Chrondroitin.
    ——
    My RA is kept at bay, 3k curcumin a day
    ——
    Thank you Margaret, when you come up for air…
    God bless

11. Anne

Have been reading about turmeric for gum disease. Does anyone know if it is effective applied to the gums of cats? My cat now has a lesion on a lower tooth since only a few months ago, when I was cleaning her teeth regularly. Using the standard toothpaste, CET, but also a small zylitol dropper-full which she actually likes. I plan to apply it daily to the brown lesion on her tooth (its just behind the eye tooth) They say removal is the only cure on some sites. Should I also be putting some hydrogen peroxide on it? Also giving buffered vit. C. All this since I discovered red, swollen tooth and gum with this brown line that may be a “cavity” yesterday. Swelling is almost gone already, but there is this brown line. Help.

12. rdub

Howdy Anne,
    I do provide both our dogs with curcumin and sardines daily, my dosage follows how they are medicated with other human drugs.
    I soak their chew sticks with chlorhexidine 0.2% flush (Amazon) for their oral health, daily. Our vet sells chew sticks with it.
    I doesn’t whiten their teeth, but they do not have a dark line at the gum line. HTH. Best of luck.

13. Samina

My 18 1/2 darling Puffin is down from 9 lb to 4 lb. The vet thinks it’s Lymphoma. HOW MUCH Turmeric should I give her and how often. Please help! Thank you.

14. Kitty

Thank you for this very informative and useful website. Our cat was diagnosed with oral squamous cell carcinoma in late November and given a dismal prognosis of only a few days/weeks to live. In mid-December, after searching online, we began treating her with curcumin and other natural remedies. We have worked our way up from 200mg/day to 500mg/day divided in two doses. She weighs 6 kg, so this is less than 100mg/kg. We use a curcumin phytosome formulation which does not smell and has little taste. We mix it in with her food and a little fish oil and she eats it without any issues. In addition to the curcumin, we are also giving her COQ10 (50mg), Essiac tea and Life Gold and have also switched her food to a grain-free low-carb diet. All things considered, she is doing pretty well, and she does not appear to be suffering any ill effects from a daily 500mg dose of curcumin. The vet told us the other day that the cancer appeared to have stabilized. Of course, we are anxious to see the tumor shrink – I would be interested to know whether anyone has treated their cat with a higher dose than the one we are giving.

15. Trevor and Ellen

Our cat has been diagnosed by our new vet as having Lymphoma in her throat.
    We do not know how long it was there and undiagnosed by the previous vet, possibly some months.
    We have started her on Tumeric and we are wondering if anyone can give us an indication of how long before we may be able to see some results, no matter how slight.
    Regards
    Trevor and Ellen
    Australia

16. Kitty

Are you giving curcumin extract, the active ingredient in turmeric, or simply the spice? You want to be sure to give curcumin. As a plus, it has practically no odor and no taste, making it more palatable to cats than turmeric. You can find curcumin supplements in health food stores.
    As for effectiveness, while I believe curcumin has helped slow down the progression of our cat’s cancer, the tumor has continued to grow. The vet said it most cats he’s seen with similar cancers do not remain as healthy for as long as ours has following diagnosis. Whether it is the curcumin, the other supplements, the diet, or the combination of these things, we cannot know for sure.
    Best wishes to you and your kitty.