September 24 2007 post. Yesterday I received a blog comment that turned out to be the straw that broke the camel’s back. In a good sense! Until then, I had rather stubbornly decided not to recommend or even list any curcumin brands or sources on my blog, but I realize that this type of information might be useful to those thinking of taking curcumin but with no idea where to buy it (so many websites sell it now, and it’s hard to separate reliable from unreliable ). So I have changed my mind. Of course, let me state first and foremost that I have no financial or other type of interest in any of the brands or sources that I will be listing below. Okay, with that out of the way, here goes.
Curcumin brands and sources in the U.S.A.: capsules
1. Please go see Don’s excellent list: http://tinyurl.com/34byoj. He does us the huge favour of comparing costs (per capsule, even). The only addition that I would make is that Doctor’s Best can be bought a bit more cheaply at Vitacost, which is where I generally order most of my supplements. Okay, I take that back, the price has recently gone up to $ 14.74. Still, a few cents cheaper. As we say in Italy, tutto fa brodo, which literally means everything makes broth, but is properly translated as it’s all grist to the mill, hey, even just a few cents. 😉 Ok, seriously, now. Don has also posted a lot of good information about curcumin, and, in particular, I would suggest a read of his post on curcumin and nanotechnology: http://tinyurl.com/3as7we Of the brands listed by Don, I have taken NSI and Doctor’s Best. I had fewer stomach gurglings with the former, but of course that doesn’t mean it is better or worse. I know that Don mixes and matches his capsules a bit, which I think is a good idea, especially in order to avoid taking too much bioperine. I read that too much black pepper is not good for us in the long run (I have posted about this), so please remember not to add black pepper to your food if you are taking eight grams of curcumin WITH bioperine.
2. There is also another source for capsules (and perhaps even powder, but that is a question you would have to ask the company) at: http://www.turmeric-curcumin.com/ I have never personally ordered from them, so I cannot say much except that their curcumin does not contain bioperine and is not the C3 Complex curcumin by Sabinsa. Just another option. Ah, if you scroll down their homepage, you will also find up-to-date news about curcumin, which can be very useful.
3. November 10 2007 UPDATE, taken from my September 15 post: Life Extension Foundation sells a product called Super Bio-Curcumin”: http://tinyurl.com/2aarkp Here is an excerpt from the LEF web page: The 100% natural curcuminoids complex in Super Bio-Curcumin Â® is a patent-pending synergistic blend of curcuminoids and sesquiterpenoids with enhanced bioavailability and sustained retention time in the body confirmed by human clinical studies. Super Bio-Curcumin Â® is a next generation’ in delivery of curcumin compounds that no longer requires high doses of curcumin to reach sustainable levels of curcumin in the blood plasma. Each 400 mg capsule of Super Bio-Curcumin Â® is equivalent to 2772 mg of a typical 95% curcumin extract. This product is actually BioCurcumax, which you can read about in my “Bioavailability Page.” Interesting. Hope it works! Update: it made my MM markers WORSE. Too bad!
There are (still) two main U.S. sources for curcumin powder, as far as I know.
1. UPDATE November 26 2008: a blog reader (thank you!) informed me that my very first supplier of curcumin, a company called Supplemental Health Formulations, or SHF, has apparently disappeared. I will leave its name on my blog, in case the company reappears some day, but he’s right, the website is gone, so I am getting rid of the link. Too bad. My blog reader orders his curcumin powder from Pure Bulk: http://purebulk.com/curcumin-95-turmeric-pe-c-96.html. He says that Pure Bulk provides “good service and cheap shipping.” It’s 95%, so that is good. But it’s not the C3 Complex curcumin. This company does not ship to Italy.
2. You can buy the C3 Complex used in the MD Anderson clinical trial directly from Sabinsa, apparently. The cost is $ 73.00 per kilo, plus shipping costs. I took this information from an e-mail exchange I had in January of 2007 with Kavita Subramanian who at that time was the Senior Manager, International Business, for Sabinsa Corporation, 70 Ethel Road West, Unit 6, Piscataway, NJ 08854. Please contact her for more information (UPDATE: this info is not recent, so please take with a grain of salt). I should add that I have never ordered directly from Sabinsa U.S.A., but I have ordered from their Italian distributor, see below.
Curcumin brands and sources in Europe: capsules
U.K.: a couple of blog readers (thank you!) sent me their source for Doctor’s Best: http://tinyurl.com/yto9uh
Italy: capsules and powder can be ordered from the Italian distributor of Sabinsa, Sochim International. This is the Sochim homepage: http://www.sochim.it/ Their catalogue can be downloaded in English and in Italian. Sochim does not sell to private citizens, so you must order curcumin (capsules or powder) through your pharmacy or herbal store or whatnot. I have ordered both C3 Complex curcumin capsules and powder (both sans bioperine) from Sochim through my friendly pharmacist here in Florence. A slight drag, but it works.
UPDATE November 2008. A wonderful friendly helpful and knowledgeable pharmacist who will ship anywhere over Italy is Dr. Balducci, whose pharmacy is in Calenzano, near Florence. Here are the details: Farmacia Balducci, via Giuseppe Giusti, 15, Calenzano (FI) 50041, tel: 055 8824687 or 055 8879004. He has a galenic lab, too, which is very useful. Curcumin capsules with or without bioperine and curcumin powder are available here. It is the C3 Complex type, which he gets directly from Sochim.
There is also a French company called Anastore (the website may be viewed in four languages) that uses the C3 Complex curcumin: http://www.anastore.com/ I placed my first curcumin capsule order with Anastore, as a matter of fact. Prompt and free delivery. But it got to be a bit expensive because at the time they were making only a 400 mg capsule. Now I see that they make a 500 mg capsule. Much better. However, if I have done the math correctly (always double-check me, I am not good at all with numbers!), even the 3+1 offer would last only 15 days on eight grams a day. Not very long. Anastore is also my source for black cumin oil capsules, by the way.
UPDATE, October 2008: an Italian pharmaceutical company called “Steve Jones,” based in Prato, near Florence, has developed curcumin capsules, the C3 Complex kind, with bioperine and a bit of selenium. The product is called TAMIL, and it can be found at, or ordered from, any pharmacy in Italy. For more info, see: http://www.stevejones.it/index.php?id=136,525,0,0,1,0
I have ordered the C3 Complex powder from the Italian Sochim Int., see details above.
There is a Spanish distributor for Sabinsa, Goerlich Pharma Espana, S.L., but I don’t know if they sell curcumin to individuals, although I see that they do list the C3 Complex powder here: http://tinyurl.com/ytn2ng. The website also lists contact numbers, etc.
Sabinsa Europe is based in Germany, see contact information here: http://tinyurl.com/yq8m8t. Again, no idea if they sell to individuals. The only way to find out is to contact them directly.
I will make an effort to find other sources in Europe, which I fear won’t be easy until curcumin becomes a common household word. Of course, Sabinsa’s homepage lists their branches throughout the world. Easy.
Have I missed anything? Probably. As always, I welcome suggestions and comments. Thank you!
UPDATES (2007). A blog reader wrote: “I buy my curcumin powder (Turmeric Extract) from Tattva’s Herbs based in Seattle, WA. Their website is www.tattvasherbs.com. Phone: 877-828-8824. Their curcumin is Curcumin C3 Complex from Sabinsa. They also have it in capsules. A jar of 200 grams is $67.95. However, those in the healthfield can purchase it at wholesale price. I do not think it is so hard to get it at wholesale,though. A cancer clinic in Seattle gets its curcumin from this company.”
Another blog reader (from Germany) got in touch with Sabinsa Europe, and was told that one of their customers is a chemist (who makes curcumin capsules with the C3 Complex curcumin) in Koblenz, as follows: Schloss Apotheke, Schlossstr. 17, 56068 Koblenz, 0261/18439, 0261/12449; http://www.schloss-apotheke-koblenz.de He also discovered a website that sells the NOW curcumin: http://tinyurl.com/35cvpl